Choose another item
Discussing DNA: Finding Unexpected Results
An Online Conversation Course with Christopher C. Child, Libby Copeland, and Bill Griffeth
In the past few decades, DNA testing has opened new doors for the field of genealogy. For an individual, however, unexpected DNA test results can open a can of worms: revealing unknown parentage, long lost siblings, and other family secrets. Such discoveries can affect one’s understanding of their family—no matter how many generations removed, their culture, and their identity. This online conversation course brings together genetic genealogists, authors, and journalists to discuss the implications and impact of unexpected test results. Through a combination of instructive videos, educational resources, and a lively panel discussion, you will hear how DNA testing has affected how we do family history, learn about the prevalence of genetic surprises, and gain tools to interpret and cope with unexpected test results.
Live Panel Discussion: November 18, 2020, 6:00 PM EDT
Access to recordings and materials from November 11 through February 28, 2021
• NEHGS Genetic Genealogist Christopher C. Child will demonstrate how to interpret unexpected results and how to unravel family mysteries using DNA;
• Science Journalist Libby Copeland, who previewed her new book The Lost Family: How DNA Testing is Upending Who We Are on our American Inspiration author series, will speak to big-picture findings and trends in genetic testing, and share some remarkable stories;
• Author and TV host Bill Griffeth, author of The Stranger in My Genes: A Memoir will share his very personal experience and the lessons he’s learned moving forward following a surprising result
This online seminar includes:
• Exclusive access to more than two hours' worth of instructive videos, plus downloaded slides, handouts, and other educational materials;
• 90-minute live conversation and Q&A with our panel of experts;
• $30 voucher for the purchase of related DNA books, test kits, and other resources at our online bookstore;
• Access to all course materials and unlimited replay of all videos through the end of February 2021
Tickets are no longer available online for this event. Please contact our box office to get up-to-the-minute ticket availability information.
If you find this message in error, please check your reservation request and try again.